Artificial intelligence (AI) has already transfigured, involving the healthcare system. It is rapidly entering health care and serving major roles. It is used in automating drudgery and daily tasks in medical practice and manages patients and medical resources. It is becoming popular and we can witness many revolutions that look, impossible a few years ago. Science companies are involved in medical research or clinical trials to create reliable instruments that will be used in diagnosis and treatments. As modern technology creates AI to take on these tasks, many disadvantages and risks of injuries also emerge with it. These risks include risks of injuries from AI system errors, the risk to the patient privacy of data acquisition, and AI interference with lots of more disadvantages. Potential solutions are complex but the technology company Garter says that 75% of health organizations will invest in 2021 in their AI potential to improve their overall medical performance. The benefits of AI medical tools are different in all health care areas. These tools are invaluable and at the same time beneficial for doctors, patients, and applicable for all medical purposes.
Although the field of AI technology is quite new, it has the potential to play different roles in the healthcare system.
- Exceeding the limit of human boundaries: AI medical tools perform things that an excellent one cannot perform. For example, google healthcare has developed a program that predicts the acute injury of the kidney two days before the injury occurs. As compared to this, the current medical practice notices the injury when it already happened. Such AI tools are exceeding the limit of current boundaries of human performance.
- Democratizing medical knowledge: AI can also share some extraordinary expertise that can be difficult for some expert one. The performance of specialists to supplement providers can hardly be performed by someone. After a long focus on the development, AI image-analysis techniques proved Ophthalmology and Radiology possible. Many medical programs require a human eye image to give diagnoses if not then it requires Ophthalmology. Using AI medical tools, general practitioners, technicians, can reach that closure. Some specialists, especially highly skilled experts are rarely compared to needs in many health areas because of democratization.
- Automating Drudgery: people spend a lot of time dealing with electronic medical records, typing on the keyboard, reading screens, even in the exam room. AI can automate computer takes that take up a lot of time today. If AI tools are used to perform most tasks relevant to patients’ records and then distill recording for appointments and conversations, it could save substantial time for providers. These AI tools can increase the amount of facetime between doctors and patients. It can also generate quality of time of the medical encounter for both doctors and patients.
- Manage medial resources and patients: Eventually, AI tools can be used to manage resources and for shaping business. For example, AI tools can predict which department in the hospital needs additional short-term staffing. It can recommend which of the two patients will have more benefits from scanty medical resources.
disadvantages and Health risks
Everything that has some benefits also has some disadvantages. Similarly, AI offers many health benefits; it also has a lot of disadvantages and health risks.
- Error and health injuries: The most obvious and risky disadvantage of an AI system is that it might be sometimes wrong. It may cause a patient injury and a health-care problem. AI systems might fail to notice a tumor on a radiological scan and may recommend the wrong medicine to a patient. Because of the wrong prediction, it may allocate a bed in the hospital to one patient over another so that the patient could get more benefits but, the patient could get more injuries. Of course, AI causes many health care injuries because of medical errors. The medical health care system already has many errors without using AI tools. However, AI tools are different for at least two reasons. One reason is that doctors and patients may have a different opinion on the injury that is caused by the software than human error. The second reason is that a single patient may be injured because of single doctors’ miss-mind. But if the AI system and tools are spread widely, the problem that occurs in one tool may injure thousands of patients. It is highly dangerous for human beings.
- Data accessibility: if you want to use the AI system, you may require lots of practice with a large amount of data such as electronic health records, insurance claim records, and pharmacy records. You may also have to need some information like consumer-generated information, fitness trackers, and purchasing history. However, all health data and information are usually problematic. Because the record is saved fragmented.
- Inequality: In the health care AI system there is the possibility of bias and diagnosis involving. Because the AI system is learned from the training data. They can be subsumed by biases from this data.
THe requirement of an AI system for training demands a large collection of data from patients to create a dataset. Many patients may be concerned that the collection will prove harsh for their privacy. However, AI predicts private information for the patients, who do not feel. But the algorithm does not receive this information.