Passwords are inconvenient for us and cybersecurity professionals. The problem is that if the password is too easy for you, the hacker has more chances to crack it. Tech companies are warning consumers to use hard-to-crack passwords and two-factor authentication, but people are still using insecure laughable passwords.
Of Nordpass, 200 most common passwords of 2021. The top three common passwords are 123456, 123456789, and picture1. Next on the list are just “password”. Various combination passwords also include abd123 and Million1.
Nordpass worked with a third-party provider to check a database that has 275,699,516 passwords. In the password database, only 44% or 122,894,788 passwords were unique. The other passwords were very common and are so easy to remember. These types of passwords are highly vulnerable to online threats. This year only 78 passwords from 200 were unique.
List of common passwords
Nordpass cybersecurity expert Chad Hammond encourages people to change the password immediately if their password is among the top 200 passwords. According to Hammond, these types of passwords are hacked in less than a second.
What to avoid when creating a password?
People should avoid using dictionary words, strings of adjacent keyboard combinations, and number combinations such as password, qwerty, and 123456. These types of passwords are easily hacked. People should also avoid using iloveyou, omg pop, Ashely, princess, sunshine, and pokemon type passwords because they are laughable and s easy to hack. We should avoid repetitive characters such as “aaa”, “123abc”, and “abc123”. We should also not use personal details like date of birth, phone number, and name.
Create a strong password
Avoid reusing the same password on multiple accounts. Choose a unique password for each account and make it longer. It should not less than 12 characters, you can make it longer if you want. To create stronger passwords use upper-case and lower-case letters, symbols, and numbers. So, the risk of getting passwords hacked is lower. Confirm that you have changed your password every 3 months.
Tips to improve your password security
Unfortunately, we always use passwords that are easy to crack for hackers. We use simple and easy to guess passwords like “123456”. It is still commonly used over the world and provides no protection. Sophisticated hackers use special software that enables them to hack any type of password. However, creating a strong password is crucial now to protect our data and online identity. So we do not become an easy target for hackers.
Here are some quirky tips to improve your password security for extra protection.
- Create unique passwords: the secret to creating a strong password is that it should be easy for you but difficult for hackers to crack it. A strong password should be created with upper-case and lower-case letters, symbols, and numbers. A unique password should be between 10 to 12 characters long. If you want to make your password stronger, you can also use the phrase. The phrase should be 15 characters long.
- Use different passwords for different accounts: if you have too many social media accounts, it can be very seductive to use the same passwords for all accounts to acquire quick and easy access. It is extremely easy for hackers to work out on your one account and then they will have access to all your accounts. It is very important to secure your data from hackers. So, use different passwords for every single account.
- Update your passwords: you should update your password on a daily basis or every 90 days. It is the easiest way to ensure that your online accounts remain safe and secure. If you continuously use the same passwords for many years, it increases the chances of your account being hacked. You can change a single character of your every password to make it easy to remember for you and hard for hackers. Rather than you can also change the full password, change character, symbol, and reverse the use of upper-case and lower-case letters. If one of your accounts has been hacked immediately change the passwords of other accounts to make them secure from hackers.
- Consider the use of a password manager: it could be difficult for you to remember all passwords of different accounts. But a password manager app provides the facility and encrypted the location where you save all passwords of your accounts. Password manager app secures the login details of all websites you use and automatically login you whenever you return to the website. First of all, you should create a unique stronger password while using a password manager. This unique password will control access to your entire database. As this is the only password you have to remember so, it should be stronger hard-to-crack.
- Two-Factor Authentication: two-factor authentication provides an extra layer of protection to the security of your accounts. There is a wide range of two-factor authentication sites that can be used for this process. You have to register only one time then you can log in to your accounts normally by entering passwords. As soon as you complete this process the two-factor authentication will send a code to your mobile, that you must have to enter before acquiring access to your network. This process reduces the chances of a hacker to access your account easily.
A stronger password provides crucial protection from financial fraud and theft. Guessing a password is the easiest way for hackers to break into computers. Simple and easy passwords enable hackers to gain access and control of a computing device.